Saturday, January 21, 2012

The World is Round


I hang my heart from the highest tree
Every time I head into town
And I’m headed into town every time
I step out my front door. 
Into the city, drowning in sound
I’m looking for the point, but the world is round. 

So I run away in my speed machine
When I drive my eyes are drowning in green
Drowning in green like golden pennies on the pavement
Things you never see in the city
Where gold is locked up like
Trees squared in by boxes of sidewalks

Driving through the forest where
At least the trees outnumber me
ten billion green leaves, and I feel
free, just another little animal who doesn’t need
anything that kills the whole world
Like the plastic-wrap on my groceries

I’d rather get groceries in a blackberry patch
Scratched up and sunburned to pay
for all the small wet purple packages
made out of dust and sunshine
I could catch a fish, wrapped in water and slime
Walking along in a cool brown stream
If I learned to be fast enough with my
plastic fishing pole

With my heart hung safe at the top of a tree
I’m locked in my plastic speed machine
Driving faster and faster
Buried in sound
I’m looking for the point, but the world is round. 

No comments:

Post a Comment