Saturday, January 21, 2012

Monarch


Sometimes a Monarch butterfly soars into my day
and makes that moment the whole day. 
Petty hurts
I haven't been around for millions of years
My plans in life haven't gone off without a hitch
No billionaire has ever had such success
as the little orange-winged person dancing over my head. 

I like the idea of a chrysalis.
I only wish I had just to step into one once, curl inward and transform
and emerge a finished being with a single purpose.
Instead I transform again, and again, half-way, stopped
in the middle
muddy and confused
no singular purpose
lost in a search for answers.
because I used to have them
or thought I did
What I would be
the shape of my wings,
color of my chrysalis,
the search for a mate, pre-defined

Now I can't make orange
green, blue, black
all my talents wasting in strange fields

Sometimes a Monarch butterfly
flies overhead and stops all the noise in my head.
I'm not for anything
I'm just here, flying overhead
with anycolored wings 

October 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment