Saturday, January 21, 2012

Talismans


Talismans of a former life gathered into boxes
how many broken things and lost memories
how much of a life can I
wrap up in rags of jeans I wore to tatters
what will break? 
Each treasure is a world, anyone else seeing them can only wonder. 
or scoff

I left behind my soul
in a room
traveled to a far-off land
where no one cared
about the new white girl at school
toys left behind
home left behind
childhood
now I seem to move on for a living
as if it brought something to me, instead of always taking away

talismans in my hands, but we all live only in our heads
little ceramic caterpillar that my daughter painted, do not break
you are the memory of her generosity
a little box she painted, with all her baby-teeth inside
pictures and the works of her hands,
now I remember how much I love this little girl
so far away
in miles
in years

I have no faith, anymore, in some mystical being
who will keep us together
I lose something every day, another day,
hopeful not to lose the memories
no one may die, none be lost, I hold the little plastic boat you gave me
the case of your father's memories
a candle that we burned together, three hundred wimmin in a field

it's time for me to move on again. 

This is why I remember;
I've lost too much, so you are precious
You
all our memories together,
all the Universe inside your head, I wonder what is in there, what you think,
and here are my talismans
I like to pretend they keep me safe
wrapped up in ragged jeans
cradled in boxes
I'm moving again.  

September 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment