Monday, January 28, 2013

No Other Gods

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 

            Nine year-old girls, instigators of mischief;
            Known inventors of gods? 
                        Let’s call one Mithras, one Valhes, one Osiris
                        Ishtar, Astarte, Robyn, LemonCreamPie
            We memorize the admonition.

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the loard. 

            Would I have favored another god? 
            One who did not reserve vengeance to himself, 
            none forthcoming, no justice either 
            Oh fatherinheaven oh father on earth why are you deaf? 
                        Perhaps the goddess Robyn would have saved me. 

                       
He so loved the world that he sent his only sun. 

            Mixed messages: 
            You tortured god. 
            God loves you. 
            My sister tortured me. 
            I am not Jesus.  I do not love my sister. 

And be, hold a virgin.  Bore a child. 

            What mad scheme, male gives birth to a male, who is himself. 
            Male, like one who raped me
            Forever separated by the soft fleshy thing between his legs
            Never again are males human beings
            Monsters, with vengeful little gods tucked into their pants.

Robyn threw mighty lightning-bolts and plagues, if she were real. 


~Kathlean Wolf, 28 January 2013

1 comment:

  1. These are incredible - thank you for supplying me with good poems!

    ReplyDelete